1. Why can the Rajya Sabha not pass a bill?
It can pass all Ordinary Bills. It has no power over a Money Bill.
2. What are the exclusive powers of Rajya Sabha?
3. Who is the leader of the Rajya Sabha?
The Presiding officer is the Vice President of India and the leader of the House is from the majority party in the Rajya Sabha either a Cabinet minister or another nominated minister.
4. Is it correct to say that each member of the Rajya Sabha has a term of 6 years?
Every member who is elected for a full term serves for 6 years.
5. What is a no-confidence motion?
A motion which is passed by the Lok Sabha. If this motion is passed, then the government falls.
6. Can the Rajya Sabha be dissolved?
No. It is a Permanent House.
7. Is there zero hour in Rajya Sabha?
8. What are the ways by which Parliament exercises control over the Executive?
Adjournment Motion / Interpellation / No Confidence Motion / Monetary Controls / Other motions of Censure
9. What does a 'single transferable vote' means?
A method by which the President, Vice President and Rajya Sabha members are elected. The candidates are ranked in order of preference.
10. Does the Vice President have right to cast vote in the Rajya Sabha?
Yes. He votes during a deadlock in the House.
11. Who presides over the joint sitting of both the houses of the Parliament?
The Speaker of the Lok Sabha presides over the Joint Session.
12. What functions does the Vice President perform in the Rajya Sabha?
He performs all the functions that the Speaker performs in the Lok Sabha.
13. Can the Rajya Sabha members who retire be re-elected?
14. What is a 'Private Member' Bill?
A bill introduced by a member of the Parliament who is not part of the Council of Ministers.
15. Is there any other circumstance where the Lok Sabha is proved to be superior to the Rajya Sabha due to its numerical strength?
During a Joint Session over an Ordinary Bill and also during the election of the President and Vice President.
16. How is the Vice President elected? Is the procedure the same as that of the President?
The members of the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha elect the Vice President. Though the process is the same, the members of the Vidhan Sabha do not vote during the election of the Vice President.
17. Difference between Censure and No Confidence motion?
Censure Motion is moved against a minister while No Confidence is moved against the whole ministry.
18. What is Adjournment motion?
A motion to leave aside the business of the day and take up a matter of urgent public importance.
19. Why is Rajya Sabha called the 'The Upper House' even though the Lok Sabha is more powerful?
The Usage of words Upper and lower house is due to the British influence and also because India follows the Westminster System.
The Lok Sabha consists of elected representatives whereas the Rajya Sabha consists mainly of senior people in the society elected by the elected representatives. So it is called the Upper House.
20. Why is the Rajya Sabha known as a 'Permanent House'?
It is never dissolved as a whole.