ICSE Physics Class 8 Syllabus
The syllabus consists of eight themes - Matter, Physical Quantities and Measurement, Force and Pressure, Energy, Light Energy, Heat Transfer, Sound, Electricity.
Theme 1: Matter
Kinetic Theory of Matter.
- Three states of matter in terms of movement of particles.
- Energy content in the three states of matter.
- Change of state in matter using the Kinetic theory:
- Change of state diagrams (using the terms mentioned above).
Theme 2: Physical Quantities and Measurement
- Measurement of Density of irregular solids using:
- Eureka Can
- Measuring Cylinder
- Measurement of Density of Fluids:
- Basic Concept
- Concept of Floatation and sinking of a substance (relate to density)
- Comparison of densities in the three states of matter.
Theme 3: Force and Pressure
- Turning effect of force (moment of force): concept, definition and calculation
- Calculation of pressure in simple cases
- Pressure exerted by liquids (Qualitative only).
- Pressure exerted by gases - Atmospheric pressure (Qualitative only).
Theme 4: Energy
- Concept of Work
- Unit of Work (Joule)
- Calculation of Work done in simple cases
- Kinetic Energy
- Potential Energy
- Basic Concept
- Gravitational Potential Energy
- Calculation of kinetic and potential energies from a set of given data (Simple problems and assuming g=10 m/s2)
- Energy transformation in common daily life situations
- Difference between Energy and power
Theme 5: Light Energy
- Examples of Refraction.
- Curved Mirrors:
- Reflecting surface (Convex and Concave)
- Uses of Curved mirrors
- Terms related to Curved mirrors - Focus, Principal Axis, centre of curvature, radius of curvature
- Rules for making ray diagrams of Spherical mirrors.
- Real and Virtual Images
- Ray diagrams with curved mirrors where real images are formed.
- Dispersion of white light into constituent colours.
Theme 6: Heat Transfer
- Difference between Boiling and Evaporation.
- Thermal Expansion:
- Linear Expansion
- Volume Expansion
- Superficial Expansion
- Compare expansivity in Solids, Liquids and Gases.
- Examples and real world applications.
Theme 7: Sound
- Pitch and Frequency
- Pitch and frequency in relation to working of musical instruments. (Wind, membrane and String)
- Loudness and amplitude
- Unit of loudness in decibels
Theme 8: Electricity
- Household consumption of electric energy (kilowatt hour)
- Identify live wire, neutral wire and earth wire in terms of their energy and path they travel
- Safety components (fuses / circuit breakers (Qualitative approach only)/ grounding)
- Static Electricity
- Conservation of charges
- Electroscope (Gold Leaf Electroscope)
- Lightning Conductor
- Battery as a collection of cells connected in series.
- Dangers of electricity