ICSE Computer Studies Class 8 Syllabus
The syllabus consists of six chapters - Operating System and Graphic User Interface - Role and Functions, Spreadsheet - Functions and Charts, Algorithms and Flowcharts, Program Coding, App Development, and Networks.
1. Operating System (OS) and Graphical User Interface (GUI) - Role and functions
- Introduction, need, functions, features and types of Operating System: definition and examples of single user.
- Meaning of user interface and its types (CUI, GUI).
- Introduction to GUI and its advantages.
2. Spreadsheet - Functions and Charts
- Method to enter formulae.
- Meaning of Range, selecting range, naming a range.
- Cell referencing and its types (relative, absolute, mixed - with examples).
- Naming, renaming and deleting a sheet from sheet tab.
- Meaning of Functions.
- Rules to enter a function like Sum, Average, Max, Min, count, etc.
- Creating a chart.
3. Algorithms and Flowcharts
- Introduction to algorithm - definition and its use.
- Characteristics of a good algorithm.
- Steps to develop an algorithm.
- Writing algorithms.
- Definition of flowcharts.
- Various symbols used in flowcharts.
- Solving problems by writing algorithms and drawing flowcharts till decision making. (excluding loops)
4. Program Coding
- Introduction to Program coding / programming.
- Components of a program: identifiers, their naming rules.
- Literals (like integer, real and string).
- Data types and the need for different data types (like int, char, float, etc.).
- Declaration and initialisation of variables.
- Arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /, %), relational and logical operators.
- Assignment operator and its use.
- Compiling and executing programs.
- Concept, use and syntax of if, if else, if else if ladder
5. App Development
- Introduction to apps - Working of apps.
- Uses of some commonly known apps.
- Types of apps: web or online, mobile.
- Development of simple apps (using any free app development software).
- Definition of Network and its components (sender, receiver, medium).
- Definition of different types of networks with examples (LAN, MAN, WAN, PAN, CAN).
- Meaning of various terms related to internet: Intranet, URL, ISP, IP address, DNS, webpage, website, web portal, MODEM, switch, hub, router, gateways, link, hyperlink, hypertext, band width.
- Definition of protocol (HTTP, FTP, TCP/IP, IMAP, SMTP - a brief explanation of each and their purpose).
- Introduction to Cloud Computing: characteristics and advantages.
- Storing and sharing data / information using Cloud Computing.