ICSE Physics Class 7 Syllabus
The syllabus consists of seven themes - (i) Physical Quantities and Measurement, (ii) Force and Pressure: Motion, (iii) Energy, (iv) Light Energy, (v) Heat, (vi) Sound, and (vii) Electricity and Magnetism.
Theme 1: Physical Quantities and Measurement
Measurement of Volume (3D concept)
Concept of unit volume
Measurement of Area
- Estimate the Area of irregular shape using a Graph paper
Measurement of Density of regular solids
- Basic concept
- Simple Numericals (SI units not required)
Calculation of Speed
- Basic Concept
- Simple Numericals (SI units not required).
Theme 2: Force and Pressure: Motion
Motion as a change in position of an object with respect to time.
Types of motion
- Repetitive (Periodic and Non Periodic)
Uniform and Non Uniform Motion: concept of distance and speed (average speed)
- Differences between Mass and Weight.
Theme 3: Energy
- Energy as capacity to do work.
- Units of energy (joule and calorie).
- Different forms of energy.
- Inter-conversion of energy
Law of Conservation of Energy
Theme 4: Light Energy
- Definition and Examples.
- Terms related to reflection - normal, plane, point of incidence, angle of incidence, angle of reflection.
- Laws of Reflection.
- Ray Diagram (no mention of virtual image). Characteristics of the image formed (Lateral Inversion, same size, distance is preserved).
Speed of light (3 x 108 m/s).
Primary colours (RGB).
Formation of secondary colours by colour addition.
Appearance of colour of an object (based on reflection and absorption)
Theme 5: Heat
Heat as a form of energy and its units, joule (J) and calorie (cal).
Different units of Temperature (°C, °F, K).
Effects of Heat
- Change in Temperature.
- Change in Size (Expansion and contraction).
- Change in State.
- Good Conductors and Bad Conductors of Heat and their examples.
- Choice of conductors and insulators in day to day life (Pan handles, metal cooking utensils etc.)
Methods of Heat Transfer
Thermos Flask: (Application of Heat Transfer)
Theme 6: Sound
- Sources of sound.
- Sound as a longitudinal wave.
- Characteristics of a sound wave: Amplitude (Relate amplitude with loudness) and Frequency.
- Sound needs a medium to propagate.
- Reflection and Absorption of sound.
- Relative speed of sound in different mediums.
Theme 7: Electricity and Magnetism
- Law of Magnetism
- Test for a magnet (by repulsion)
- Electromagnetism, Electromagnets and their applications - Electric bell
- Electric current as a flow of charges
- Electric cell as source of electricity
- Resistors as components that oppose the flow of current.
- Symbolic representation of electrical components (key, battery, bulb, conducting wire, resistor)
- Simple electric circuit - Series and Parallel
- Battery as a collection of cells connected in series.
- Good and Bad conductors of electricity.