ICSE Mathematics Class 7 Syllabus
The syllabus consist of six themes - Number System, Ratio and Proportion, Algebra, Geometry, Mensuration, and Data Handling.
Theme 1: Number System
- Multiplication and division of integers
- Properties of operations on integers: Commutativity, associativity, existence of identity and inverse and distributivity
- Problem solving using operations on integers
- Solution of word problems involving integers (all operations)
- Introduction to rational numbers (with representation on number line)
- Word problems on rational numbers (all operations)
- Decimal representation of rational numbers
- Problem solving using operations on rational numbers and decimal fractions
- Fraction as an operator
- Reciprocal of a fraction
- Multiplication and division of decimal fractions
- Exponents only natural numbers.
- Laws of exponents (through observing patterns to arrive at generalisation.)
- Application of laws of exponents in simple daily life problems
- Revision idea of sets
- Equal, equivalent, universal sets
- Cardinal property of sets
Theme 2: Ratio and Proportion
- Ratio and proportion (revision)
- Unitary method continued, consolidation, general expression for unitary method
- Percentage - an introduction.
- Understanding percentage as a fraction with denominator 100
- Converting fractions and decimals into percentage and vice-versa.
- Application to profit and loss (single transaction only)
- Application to simple interest (time period in complete years).
- Speed, distance, time
Theme 3: Algebra
- Terms related to algebra like constants, variable, terms, coefficient of terms, like and unlike terms, etc.
- Generate algebraic expressions
- Performs operations (addition and subtraction) on algebraic expressions with integral coefficients only
- Simple linear equations in one variable (in contextual problems) with two operations.
- Inequalities and solution of simple inequalities in one variable
Theme 4: Geometry
- Pairs of angles (linear, supplementary, complementary, adjacent, vertically opposite)
- Properties of parallel lines with transversal (alternate, corresponding, interior, exterior angles)
Properties of triangles
- Angle sum property
- Exterior angle property
- Pythagoras Theorem (Verification only)
- Recalling reflection symmetry
- Idea of rotational symmetry, observations of rotational symmetry of 2-D objects. (90°, 120°, 180°)
Representing 3-D in 2-D
- Identification and counting of vertices, edges, faces, nets (for cubes cuboids, and cylinders, cones).
- Mapping the space around approximately through visual estimation.
- Congruence through superimposition
- Extend congruence to simple geometrical shapes e.g. triangles, circles.
- Criteria of congruence
- Construction of a line parallel to a given line from a point outside it
- Construction of simple triangles.
Theme 5: Mensuration
Revision of perimeter and Idea of Circumference of Circle
Concept of measurement using a basic unit area of a square, rectangle, triangle, parallelogram and circle, rings and combined figures.
Theme 6: Data Handling
- Collection and organisation of data - choosing the data to collect for a hypothesis testing
- Mean, median and mode of ungrouped data - understanding what they represent
- Constructing and interpreting bar graphs
- Feel of probability using data through experiments. Notion of chance in events like tossing coins, dice etc.
- Tabulating and counting occurrences of 1 through 6 in a number of throws.
- Comparing the observation with that for a coin. Observing strings of throws, notion of randomness.