ICSE Biology Class 6 Syllabus
The syllabus consists of five themes - (i) Plant Life, (ii) The Cell, (iii) Human Body, (iv) Health and Hygiene, and (v) Adaptation.
Theme 1: Plant Life
- External structure (parts of a leaf in detail).
- Kinds of leaves (simple & compound).
- Types of venation (reticulate and parallel).
- Functions of leaf (main functions).
- Modifications (tendrils, spines, scale leaves).
- Insectivorous plants. Need for modification with an example.
- Vegetative propagation in leaf (example bryophyllum).
- Parts (4 whorls), structure and function of each whorl.
- Pollination (self and cross): An idea about agents of cross pollination (wind, water and insects - their examples).
- Fertilization: process in simple terms.
- Formation of fruit - fate of each part (whorl) of flower after fertilization.
- Parts of fruits: dry and fleshy, examples of dry and fleshy parts; parts of the pericarp of fleshy fruits (epicarp, mesocarp, endocarp) and function of each part.
- Seed - parts (cotyledon, embryo: Radicle, plumule) and types (monocot, dicot)
- Germination - conditions required for germination (moisture, warmth), seed germination of different seeds.
Theme 2: The Cell
- Plant cell: Cell organelles and their functions.
- Animal cell: Cell organelles and their functions.
- Diagrams of plant and animal cell.
- Only the following to be included: Cell wall, Cell membrane, Plastids, Nucleus, Vacuole, Cytoplasm - their structure and functions
- Differences between plant and animal cells.
Theme 3: Human Body
- Revisit previous learning.
- Organs of the digestive system; function of each organ.
- Process of digestion particularly of Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fats.
- Main parts (nose, pharynx, larynx, trachea, bronchi, lungs); functions of each part of the respiratory system.
- Difference between respiration and breathing.
- Mechanism of breathing (physical process with respect to diaphragm and ribs-inhalation and exhalation).
- Mention of common respiratory diseases: asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis (T.B.).
- Main parts of the circulatory system (heart, blood, blood vessels).
- Process of circulation in the body.
- Components of blood (plasma and blood cells - RBC, WBC, platelets with their functions only).
- Types of Blood groups (A, B, AB, O): mention only.
- Blood pressure (concept only); heartbeat, pulse
- Keeping the heart healthy through exercise and good food habits.
Theme 4: Health and Hygiene
- Types of diseases (communicable and noncommunicable).
- Communicable diseases: bacterial, viral, protozoal, diseases caused by worms (common examples of each).
- Modes of transmission of diseases (air, water, food, insects).
- Ways to prevent communicable diseases.
- Non-communicable diseases: examples, ways to prevent them.
- Hygiene - ways to keep the surroundings clean, safe disposal of garbage, healthy practices for hygiene.
Theme 5: Adaptation
Habitat - definition.
Adaptations of plants and animals to the following habitats along with characteristics and examples:
- Aquatic habitat - floating, submerged and fixed plants; adaptations in fish.
- Desert - adaptations in cactus as desert plant and camel as desert animal.
- Mountain - adaptations in trees like Pine and Fir; mountain goat.
- Air - adaptation for flight in birds, aerial plants.